Small businesses have an opportunity to shine this festive season
The festive season is critical for retailers of all sizes not just for major stores or e-commerce giants,
By incorporating best practices larger brands have found successful, SMBs can also secure their spot in shoppers’ considerations this Christmas. It’s all about getting to know the consumer, reaching them with timely and relevant offers along their purchase journey as well as creating an enjoyable shopping experience.
As research by Valassis US indicates, consumers want deals that help them save and, by catering to shoppers’ preferences, all retailers have an opportunity to compete. A RetailMeNot survey found that 48 percent will shop in a store based on the deals they find.
With these things in mind, small businesses should consider the following to become the destination for shoppers this holiday season:
- Offer print and digital deals. A Valassis survey found that 41 percent of value-seekers use an equal mix of print and digital coupons to save. In the same Valassis survey, 57 percent of respondents said they had visited a business after receiving an offer on their mobile device when they were near that location.
- Compete on price. Don’t lose customers because your competitor is offering a better deal. Saving is important and shoppers are doing their research. Valassis found that 53 percent of value-seeking consumers invest over two hours a week looking for deals and savings from all sources.
- Engage on mobile. Utilise mobile apps to build customer loyalty and target on-the-go consumers. Just because a small business might not have the same resources as a major retailer, it doesn’t mean they can’t offer a mobile app or optimise their website and emails for mobile.
- Build loyalty. Ensure you’re targeting the best shoppers by offering rewards and perks. You appreciate their business so let them know – whether by offering loyalty card points, free shipping or a giveaway.
- Promote convenience. Remind your audience that you are the friendly, local neighbourhood shop. They don’t need to travel far or wait in long queues for their festive shopping. Small businesses can also compete by providing excellent customer service and expertise which further enhances the shopping experience.